Senior Firmware Engineer
The Senior Firmware Engineer will be a technical leader, working within the Radioisotope Instrumentation Engineering Team responsible for the design, planning and execution of embedded Radioisotope Instrumentation systems throughout the development life cycle. This includes gathering and prioritizing customer requirements, generating product specifications, and developing novel radioisotope instrument technologies.
The Senior Firmware Engineer will design and develop embedded firmware for micro-controller based medical products. This person is also responsible for working with cross functional teams, including RA/QA, Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering, and other disciplines to apply cGMP processes.
The Senior Firmware Engineer is critical to the company’s continued success and growth by providing safe innovative designs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Design and develop embedded firmware for micro-controller based medical products.
2. Develop multi-threaded application code that interacts with upper and lower layers in the software stack.
3. Create modular, reusable and testable designs.
4. Collaborate with team members to define unambiguous feature requirements.
5. Create, document and review detailed designs to ensure that it meets requirements.
6. Develop and execute unit and bench tests that prove that the design and implementation meet the system. requirements, are reliable, and follow good design practice.
7. Support the validation of product design per cGMP and Regulatory guidance.
8. Provide sustaining support of existing product firmware and hardware.
9. Actively participate in systems and software design reviews.
10. Support definition and implementation of best practice firmware and hardware standards and procedures.
11. Create electrical schematics, circuit board layouts, and wiring diagrams.
12. Continuously adapt to an ever-changing regulatory environment such that the Company is in compliance with current regulations.
13. Provide engineering innovations that will improve product functionality, quality, and safety.
14. Effectively communicate safety and quality issues raised by customers or staff in a timely fashion.
15. Support NorthStar’s Quality System and Health and Safety Program by following procedures and mentoring others.
Ability and willingness to travel up to 10% of the time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and 8 or more years of engineering design and implementation of embedded firmware and software. Experience within a regulated pharmaceutical/medical device manufacturing environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with Medical Product Development Life Cycle ranging from product specification and concept development to product release. Experience with the following is also required:
• Embedded RTOS constructs: semaphores, pre-emption vs cooperative multi-tasking, round-robin scheduling, task priorities, interrupt handling, etc.
• C/C++ programming languages
• TCP/IP stack and Internet protocols
• Data Communications, RS232, RS485, SPI, I2C, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, Z-Wave, etc
• Resource efficient embedded programming techniques
• Embedded processors, controllers and the tools emulators, logic analyzers, scopes, protocol analyzers, debuggers, etc.
• Source control, parallel development and release management techniques
• Familiarity with ARM and/or MSP processor development is preferred.
Demonstrated proficiency of embedded design, schematic capture programs, and circuit board layout and design. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
• Familiar with FDA regulations
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Adaptable to change in the work environment
• Ability to work in a team environment, as well as independently
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your resume to [email protected] with the position title in the subject line.