Senior Health Physicist
NorthStar Medical Radioisotopes, LLC manufactures RadioGenix® Systems that provide domestic molybdenum-99 for patient diagnostic imaging studies. NorthStar is seeking a Senior Health Physicist/Deputy Radiation Safety Officer who will promote NorthStar’s culture of safety by advancing radiation, health, and safety programs that embody a healthy working environment and compliance with regulations established by Wisconsin for radioactive material and electron accelerators, OSHA, DOT/IATA, EPA, NRC, and Agreement States. The selected accomplished SHP/DRSO will assist the Radiation Safety Officer and Manager of Health & Safety with identifying, evaluating, managing, and preventing hazards in challenging research, manufacturing, and production workplaces.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Mentors, trains, and supervises health physicists and technicians who carry out radiation safety, hazardous material, training, and regulatory compliance work.
2. Develops and maintains procedures and training materials related to handling TBq levels of radioactivity, transportation of Type A and B packages, personnel and environmental monitoring, design and operation of high-energy electron accelerator facilities, target manipulations, and hot cell operations.
3. Assists with implementing and continual improvement of the radiation, health, and safety programs, including program audits, situation and incident reports, and revising policy manuals and procedures.
4. Contributes to managing radioactive material licenses and accelerator registrations, including timely submission of renewals, amendments, updates, and tracking changes that may affect safety programs.
5. Applies professional tact and insight during collaborations with technical staff on research and development projects, manufacturing processes, shielding plans, ALARA practices, and interlock and safety systems.
6. Manages radioactive and hazardous materials and wastes for appropriate disposition.
7. May represent NorthStar at various community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces.
8. Assesses and communicates safety and quality issues raised by staff or customers for effective remediation.
9. During periods when the Radiation Safety Officer is unavailable, the Deputy RSO will act on behalf of the RSO and ensure compliance with NorthStar’s radiation safety program and with regulatory requirements.
10. Effectively communicate safety and quality issues raised by customers or staff in a timely manner.
11. Support NorthStar’s Quality System and Health & Safety Program by following policies and procedures.
Ability and willingness to travel, both domestically and internationally, up to 20% of the time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Certification by the American Board of Health Physics (CHP) required. Bachelor’s degree in health physics, nuclear engineering, physical science, chemistry, or engineering required with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in safety, including a minimum of 5 years of experience managing complex health physics challenges required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master degree or PhD preferred. Experience as RSO is desirable. Experience with high-energy particle accelerators, radioactive material licensing, current good manufacturing practices (cGMP), developing radiation, chemical, and general safety programs is desirable. Certification as an Industrial Hygienist (CIH) desirable. Knowledge of NRC (or Agreement State), DOT/IATA, OSHA, and EPA regulations required.
Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with MS Project, Visio, and Monte Carlo programs is desirable.
• Able to work in a team environment, as well as independently.
• Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Able to work in a fast-paced, highly-regulated environment.
• Adaptable to change in the work environment and able to positively affect those changes.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your resume to [email protected] with the position title in the subject line.